Quilt in progress! – Rozsamaria

Finally, I have a new project to share.  I’m making a quilt for my cousin T and her husband B.  I usually make a quilt when people get married or have a baby.  However, when they got married last year I didn’t have time to make them a quilt because I was working on a quilt for a friend’s family.  To make up for it, I’m making them a quilt for their birthdays and belated anniversary.  It needs to be finished by Thanksgiving, which is when we’ll be celebrating T’s birthday.   I was reluctant to include it in the blog because I didn’t want to ruin the surprise, but Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away and I figured T wouldn’t see the post before then.

T and B gave me a book about quilts (“Quilts Around the World” by Spike Gillespie) for Christmas last year, complete with patterns for 20 different patches.  I wanted to make a sample quilt, with one of each patch, but I didn’t have time.  I picked a few patches and did several of each, then filled the rest with 9” squares.   I made two patches using the bow tie pattern, six using the Amish squares pattern, and five using the Korean patchwork pattern.  T’s favorite color is green and B’s favorite color is blue, so those are the colors I used for the quilt.

The Korean patchwork pattern

A picture of the Korean patchwork pattern

The Amish squares pattern

The Bow Tie pattern

I used the same fabrics for each set of patches, so they coordinate.  The following are pictures of the different patches I made.

The bow tie patches:

The bow tie pieces partially assembled

The Amish square patches:

The Amish patchwork pieces, in assembly

The pieces for one of the Amish square patches

A closeup of another Amish square patch in assembly

 

I’m having some issues with WordPress, so I’ve only included pictures of two of the six Amish square patches.  Sorry!  Wordpress keeps eating my pictures.

The Korean patchwork patches:

A Korean patchwork patch

You’ll note that the Korean patchwork patches don’t look like the picture.  I didn’t read the instructions fully and the pattern was at 70% scale, so they came out too small.  I added the large dark green strips to make them 9″ squares like the other patches.

The quilt has 25 patches, five across by five down (thirteen that I made using the patterns and twelve that are simple squares).

The patches laid out on my table

The 25 patches assembled into the quilt top

It wasn’t quite the size I wanted when I sewed the patches together (alternating simple squares with assembled patches), so I added a green fleece strip around the edge.  I’ll use fleece for the backing, as well.  I’m not going to use batting because the fleece will be sufficiently warm and heavy.

The finished quilt top with the fleece border

I spent most of the weekend sewing and I was able to get a lot done, but there’s more to do.  I haven’t attached the back or done the quilting yet.  Those will likely be the subject of my next post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s