Rozsamaria: Completed quilt

I’ve finished my quilt for my cousin T and her husband B, just in time to give it to them at Thanksgiving.  I had the top assembled last time, but now it’s completely done.

I bought fleece to use as the backing for my quilt.  I bought green and blue felt (green is T’s favorite color and blue is B’s favorite color).  I was hoping to use only green for the back, but I didn’t have enough, so I cut two large squares from each and sewed them together.  Then, I laid the top over the back, right sides out, and pinned them together, beginning from the middle patch and working my way outward.  It didn’t come out completely smooth, but my pinning never does.

Once I had the layers pinned, I pinned the edges under and sewed them together.  Then I started the quilting.  I had alternated patched blocks with solid blocks, and I decided to do the quilting on the solid blocks.  With each block, I either quilted the outline of a graphic on the block or I traced a shape onto the block and quilted that.  For example, one patch had leaves on it and I quilted an outline of the leaves.  On other patches, I traced a flower or a heart shape from a quilting book (“Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots” by Kathy Doughty and Saray Fielke) and used that as my design.  I bought special chalk pencils that are supposed to be water soluble and used that to do my tracing.  (Naturally, they aren’t quite water soluble, but I’m sure I’ll get used to working with them.)   I used different threads to pick out the colors in the patches.  Pictures below:

I outlined the hibiscus flower in navy thread.

I sewed a heart using blue thread slightly darker than the blue in this patch.

I outlined a couple of the stars in matching green. I'm not sure it shows up in this picture.

I quilted a flower in a deep pink to match the hibiscus flowers.

I used a pink thread that matched the lanterns in this print.

Again, I matched the pink thread to the flowers in the print.

I don't know if the blue thread shows up in this picture.

I outlined the scroll in a matching green thread.

I wanted to outline one of the birds, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it properly - I don't do that well with sewing on a curve - so I simply chose green thread and quilted a flower.

I outlined the leaves in green.

I did a flower in matching blue thread.

I quilted a star in gold thread.

I’m really pleased with the way it came out, especially since I finished it in time for Thanksgiving.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s