So, my promised second post is a day late, but the holidays have thrown everything off for us. We’ll get back on track for the new year! (Hopefully.)
I was sitting in mass one day thinking about the way the interesting lines of perspective as I looked at the pews – the way they seem to be set on a diagonal going towards the horizon line. I thought it would make a really cool quilt. I never make quilts that show a picture – mine are usually blocked quilts – but I thought I’d like to make a quilt of a church. I figured Anlichan would appreciate that. 🙂
I sketched the layout I had in mind, a sort of aerial view showing pews, the walls with stained glass, and the altar. (This quilt was mainly inspired by my church, or at least Catholic churches in general. If I were INCREDIBLY TALENTED and I had about a year or two, I could attempt to actually replicate the decoration of my church, which is beautiful and features columns and intricate mosaics, but I had to simplify things considerably.) I started with the pews. I cut and sewed squares of colored fabric to represent people in their Sunday best. I cut brown fabrics in prints that I felt more or less replicated wood for the pews themselves. You can see those in some of the pictures I uploaded in my last post. Each row is one square shorter, going from the bottom (which I envisioned as being the back of the church) to the top (nearing the altar). Weirdly, one side ended up being longer than the other – it’s easier to see in person that they’re not symmetrical. I don’t know how that happened, but my measuring skills are not as exact as they should be. I used a simple pale yellow fabric for the aisle between the pews and in the “front” before the altar.
The sides of this piece are angled, to mirror the lines of perspective going forward in a church. This meant that the “walls” of the church needed to be triangular. I had some tricky measuring to do in order to sew the stained glass I pictured and still make the walls fit to the pew parts. I’d originally planned to have three triangular “stained glass windows” on each side but the measurements thwarted me completely and I settled for one stained glass window made of three triangles on each wall. The measurements still nearly frustrated me completely, but I think they came out nicely in the end. The third picture I posted last time shows that stained glass.
This left the altar and the pieces of stained glass to the left and right of the altar. The altar was simple – squares of white around squares of gold that I used to make a cross. The stained glass to the left and right were supposed to be mirror images of each other, but they actually are the same. I like for prints to be facing “up” when I sew them, and in order for the stained glass pieces to be symmetrical the irises in one would have to be upside down. It bothered me too much. (Insight into my neuroses. You’re welcome.) (See the fourth picture I posted last time.)
I used some of my Hungarian prints for the back (I wanted a touch of blue and white for Anlichan, but that didn’t fit with my vision of the church, which featured lots of gold and color – again, the design was based on Catholic churches), bordered with gold to tie it in to the front. I made a strip of fabric to hang it. It is very large – larger than I’d realized it would be; I think it’s two feet by three feet, give or take. I needed that space to execute my grand vision. 🙂
I sewed the front and back, good sides together, leaving a space at the bottom to turn them inside out.
It is my bedtime, so the quilting will have to wait until next time. I leave you with more pictures!