One of our wedding themes is pie. Flowers, pie, and flying pigs. Pink and Yellow, and some Japanesque elements thrown in there for good measure. I’m making a variety of brooches as favors.
I find THESE pins particularly inspired for the theme, and although maybe not all of the embellishments are equally successful, I am pleased as punch with myself:
I hand sewed these. I think you can figure it out visually, but:
- Decide how big/small you’d like your mini pies. These are about 2″ in diameter, I used a tea-light holder as a circle stencil.
- Decide on how “done” you want the pies to be (ie, what shade of beige), and cut out the circle. I used pinking shears b/c initialy I wasn’t sure how much of the edge I would make visible after the top, and wanted a crimped look.
- Pile on whatever filling-colored scraps you like into the middle of the circle. I stuck with berry (pink felt/yarn) and lemon (yellow felt) pies because those were our wedding colors, altho I couldn’t resist a blueberry b/c it’s my favorite. I bet something more shiny would also be nice. For a few, I also needle-felted in some of the extra felting wool I brought back from the last HandiHour for a fluffy, “creamy” pie. I think these came out best (which is why they’re 2/3 of the photos posted).
- Cut thin strips of the dough-colored felt. Cut them a little longer than the pie-diameter. Lattice, sew down the edges, and trim. I think three strips in both directions looks nicest, although I experimented with 3×2 also.
- Cut another longer piece of thin dough-strip. Sew down one edge. Then start twisting the strip, and sew down every other twist or so, so it keeps its shape. You could also cut a ring with pinking shears and place it on top of the lattice edges, and sew it down in a slightly wavy manner. (The less perfect the strips are, actually, the more “homemade” the pie looks. Unless you’re a super baker and have immaculate strip-cutting skillz. At least these are how my lattices end up looking.)
- Embellish if you like (I thought some beads would look like shiny berries, the ribbon made it look both flower-like and punny on prize-winning pies, and well, the yellow ones especially look like sunflowers so the leaves seemed natch), and sew on a pin to the back (daintystitch/glue on a pretty circle of fabric to cover up your stitches on the entire backside first), or just plate it up and have a feltea party!
This project fits in well with the plushie/felt food trend abounding these days also.