Part 2! Quilt assembly!
R and M’s quilt is king-size adjacent (i.e. large enough to cover a king-sized bed but not actually the size of a king-size quilt), which is too large for me to lay it out on my floor and assemble. I had decided to take it home at Thanksgiving and lay it out on R’s floor, because he wouldn’t be home, but the way things are arranged in his room meant that it wasn’t the ideal solution I’d thought it was. However, Mama and Papa S have a ping pong table, so I got their permission to appropriate it for a day or so. I removed the net so I’d have a large flat surface.
Here’s the quilt top – this is the only way we could get a full-length shot:
Isn’t it pretty?
First I laid out the backing, a pale pink fabric that I’d bought yards and yards of. It works well as a backing but I think otherwise I’ll need to use it sparingly because it’s a little too baby pink for my take.
Next I laid out the batting, centered on the ping pong table. The table was the right length for the quilt but not the right width, so the batting and the backing were hanging over the edge. I made sure the batting lined up with the edge of the ping pong table, to make sure everything was lined up properly. I’m not sure I have pictures of this or that I’m explaining it properly, so sorry about that.
Finally I laid out the quilt top and, again, I centered it.
Normally I pin through all the layers, but I then I shed pins everywhere. I find them on the floor of my apartment days after I’ve been pinning. My parents have dogs and I didn’t want to drop pins in the house. Also, I knew I’d be transporting the quilt back to my apartment, and again I was worried about the pins. So I decided to forego pins and baste the quilt. I think I was overzealous in my basting – I basted though the border and through each row of the quilt – not a row of Xes, but each row of small patches (i.e. there are three rows of four-square patches and half-triangle squares in each block that I made, and I sewed down the length of the quilt through each row). It took me a long time, much longer than I’d expected.
I trimmed around the edges of the batting and backing to get rid of the excess fabric, and then I pinned the edges down. (This was the only pinning I did.)
Using the pool table actually worked really well. I’ll definitely do this in the future, especially for larger quilts.
Next time: the quilting!