Charity quilt – part III

Hello all!  When we met last week I was rather stressed about finishing this quilt by my mid-June deadline, but circumstances have changed and I got an extra two days to sew this week.  I now have a completed quilt sandwich, ready for quilting and binding when I go on my quilt retreat next weekend!

Last week I had put together the center section and most of the side sections, but not the top and bottom.  I had plenty of leftover half hexagons.  (I still do!)  I alternated the orange and the blue plaid pieces so that the blue plaid formed a full hexagon.  I put a dark grey on each end, over the dark grey at the top of each side section so they matched up.

I measured how much space I needed to add as a border so that my side sections and my top and bottom sections would match up.  I used more of the light blue and added a small border – 1.5″ – all the way around.

One side of the quilt is longer than the other, so my blue border got somewhat cut off in a couple of places.  I thought I had a picture of it but I couldn’t find it.

I sewed the sections together to finish my quilt tops.  I had originally planned to add an additional solid border using a light grey fabric, but the top and bottom sections were large enough that the quilt top was already done.  It came out around 66″ by 88″.

I’d been saving a large piece of fabric for the back.  When I finally measured it, it was long enough but not wide enough.   I have seen other people add leftover blocks to their backs, which I always thought looks cool, but I didn’t think I would have time originally.  However, since I had the time and even more extra half hexagons, I had the opportunity to do so.  I sewed two more rows of half hexagons, alternating orange and blue plaid just like on the front.  There’s an extra orange half hexagon on each end to make it long enough.   I added two strips of the light blue and a wide strip of the soft light grey fabric, plus the large piece, to make it big enough.

I used the remainder of the grey fabric for my binding.  I was afraid it would be too soft for binding, that it might slip around or not hold well, but it seems like it will work well.

Normally, as you know, I like to put my quilts together at my parents’ house, but I didn’t have time for that.  There’s a studio near me where you can rent table space, which was my back up plan, but again I didn’t have time.   I had to resort to putting the quilt together on my floor, which required me moving all the furniture and cleaning the floor.  I safety pinned the quilt and now all I have to do is quilt and bind it.

My quilt top was almost as long as my batting, and it was a bit of a tight squeeze.   I don’t have extra batting like I normally would, and I know you’re supposed to have an extra few inches around on every edge, but I’ll survive.  I’m sure the quilt will still come out fine.

Here are all my leftover pieces – I’ll have to use them in some future charity project.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s