Happy Fourth of July! I hope you’re having a wonderful holiday! To mark the occasion, I’ve decided to put up an extra post. The charity quilt and Hunter’s Star quilt have been taking up most of my blogging time, but I have other things I’ve been working on in the interim, and I wanted to showcase one of them today.
My cousin C just graduated from college. C loves to cook and bake and I wanted to make her an apron for her graduation because it would be easy for her to pack and move it, plus it’s useful. (Always important considerations for new college grads, right?) She loves purple and I bought a bunch of purple fat quarters when I was shopping with my mom before Easter. (I have plenty of purple fabric, but these fabrics were so cute…I fail at not buying fabric.) The apron is very similar to what I made my sister N for her birthday, except that I made a pocket for it.
I spent a while thinking about which monochrome purple to use on the bottom and which to use on the top. I knew I would use the blue print for the pocket, so I ended up picking the monochrome purple print that I thought went best with the blue. (I used the one with the little circles on the bottom and the one with the flowers on the top.) It wouldn’t have really mattered if I’d done the reverse. I used the green print for the straps. At the time I thought I’d bought more fabric than I’d needed, but in the end I was glad I’d bought as much as I did; three feet of fabric isn’t all that much for an apron, when you think about it, considering I wanted to make a full apron and not a half apron.
I cut the green print into wide-ish straps (three inches? maybe) and I cut the pocket out of the blue print and then cut the remainder into thinner strips for the edges of the apron. The blue fabric is directional – it’s plants with leaves on a purple background – so I cut the strips to maintain the directionality of the print, even though I doubt it would be noticeable if I hadn’t. I lined up each strip of the blue against the edge of the purple, right sides together, and sewed along the edge. Then I flipped the blue over and folded it in on itself, hiding the rough edge, and pinned it against the back of the purple fabric. Then I sewed that down. I made one mistake when I was doing the edges, and that is that I sewed the initial seam in white. It doesn’t show up on the front, only on the back, but it still bothers me. I did everything that would show on the front in purple, and eventually realized that I should sew all of it in purple thread, and the thread blended in completely. I didn’t take a picture of the mistake and I don’t think I’m describing it well, but it’s there.
I added blue strips to all four edges of the bottom apron piece. On the top apron piece I only did the top edge and the sides, not the bottom edge. I folded the bottom edge up and sewed it to the bottom apron piece, overlapping them so that the rough edge was hidden. I believe I did that seam twice, once along the top of where they overlapped and once along the bottom of where they overlapped. (I’ve also been sewing two seams where I attach the straps, just to give it a firmer hold.)
Here’s the finished product (and me modeling it).
I hope between this post and the post about N’s apron I’ve explained my apron process pretty clearly. As I mentioned before, I don’t use a pattern, but sometimes I refer to an apron I made for myself a few years ago. The neck strap is always too long, but that’s not a big issue. (I should probably start making two neck straps that can be tied, rather than one long one.) They’re practical gifts and easy to whip up. They’re also easy to personalize and a great way to use novelty prints if you’ve got a bunch lying around. C really liked her apron. I hope she’ll get lots of use out of it!