This week I want to talk about the machine quilting on the hexagon wedding quilt I made for C and J. I did machine quilting on two sections of the quilt – first on the center with the hexagons, and then on the borders. I started with the center hexagon. I traced lines (I think an inch? maybe?) from the outer edges of the hexagon. I did it in purple thread. (Note: Looking at my pictures, I see that I traced the center hexagon and the ring surrounding it, then quilting the ring surrounding it, and then went back and quilting the center hexagon. I can’t remember why.)
Next I did the light blue ring of hexagons around the center. First I traced lines (an inch – I’m pretty sure it was an inch) around the outside of the center hexagon. I did two more rounds of quilting in this ring of hexagons – one round of quilting an inch in from the outer edge of the hexagons and one round of quilting touching the corners of that, making a large hexagon. I did that in light blue thread. I think you can see that in the pictures above as well. Then I moved to the purple ring and I did two rounds of quilting, along the inside edge and the outside edge of the ring. (It’s hard to describe the quilting designs I did here, but I hope the pictures make it clearer.) I like how the quilting came out – it’s very geometric and cool. I did that in purple, and then the blue ring in my royal blue thread.
For the purple half-hexagons along the top and bottom of the quilt, I did a line following the half-hexagon edge of each one, in purple thread.
I also still had clusters of blue hexagons in the corners to be quilted. I made this kind of weird shape:
For the inner border, in the blue and white print, I took navy thread and I followed the line of the triangles up and down the sides of the quilt.
I made this design along the top and bottom of the inner border, mirroring the line of the quilting on the hexagons forming the border. I don’t know how else to describe it.
That left the top and sides of the navy border. I considered using this motif, which I had used on Z’s quilt, but it was too wide.
I chose this narrower one, instead. I used my template plastic to make the templates.
I started going across the top, with a light and a darker purple thread. They both read too pink for me – I think they both had red undertones that came out more strongly against the blue background.
I switched to bluer purples for the sides but they still look rather pinker than I wanted. Perhaps I should have chosen blue threads instead, but it still looks nice. It wasn’t quite what I was going for, but I guess I really don’t own any blue-purple threads.
Here you can see the contrast in the thread colors and where I switched at the corners.
Here are some pictures of the back:
A picture of the finished quilt, looking lovely, if I do say so myself. I used my parents’ pool chairs for the pictures (outdoor pictures! rare for me!). (The bottom looks weird because I covered up C and J’s names.)
The end! Next week we’ll have something different.