Bonus post this week! I finally finished my February bee block and put it in the mail, and I wanted to share it with you guys. Cyndi from cyndistitches.blogspot.com was our queen bee for the Stash Bee this month. She requested a block she called “Woven Strings” blocks, with bright strings pieced into a 9″ white square. I didn’t have any solid white fabric, so I bought some Kona Snow. (I later realized that Cyndi had offered to send people white fabric if they didn’t have any – but that’s okay! This way I saved her some postage.) I have plenty of bright fabrics! That was easy. Most of what I pulled were scraps, plus a little of a Kona solid in some shade of teal (I’m not sure which one) and a purple print from my Aunt D’s stash.
I laid the strings out before I stitched them. I was afraid if I did it by improv piecing I wouldn’t have an even distribution of colors and warm/cool tones. I flipped the two yellows between when I laid them out and when I actually pieced them, but that doesn’t matter as far as balance is concerned.
Cyndi’s instructions were really easy to follow. She instructed us to cut a curve in the block, then piece in a string, then rotate and cut another curve or a straight line, insert a string, and continue until you’ve pieced 6 or 8 strings into your block.
I was nervous about piecing such narrow strips on curves, and I thought it would take me forever, but it went pretty quickly. I had a much easier time pressing my seams toward the dark than pressing them open on January’s block! Making sure my strings lined up after I sliced them and inserted another string was a little difficult. I wasn’t thinking about it the first time it happened but I tried really hard to match them up for the rest of the block. I think it came out well anyway.
Here’s my finished block and I think it’s really cute. I hope Cyndi likes it! I don’t think I would make it again, but it made me think of fun ways to use my strings. I have some ideas now for doll quilts – I just need the time to put them into practice!