My doll quilt involved some applique practice and getting rid of scraps. My guild makes stockings and stuffed animals around the holidays, and a couple of years ago I wanted to make stuffed animals but I didn’t realize that I needed to blow up the pattern to a larger size. The pieces came out so small and I gave up on the stuffed animals. (I think I made one tiny dinosaur.) I had pieces cut out, including pieces to make a stuffed dog. I also had a blue circle shape – leftover from this present I made for Anlichan.
I took the two ear pieces and sewed them right sides together, then turned them right side out. I turned the open end under and stitched it down to the dog body piece.
I had already embroidered the dog’s eye and nose when I was going to make the stuffed animal originally, so I didn’t need to worry about that. I machine appliqued the dog to the blue circle with yellow thread using a zigzag stitch. (I’ve since learned that it works better if you use your satin stitch foot!)
I fused that to a large square of the polka dot fabric leftover from my polka dot Drunkard’s Path comforter. I used a blanket stitch to hand applique it down.
I used batting scraps and a square of the shirting fabric that I’m still trying to get rid of to make the quilt sandwich. I quilted a spiral from the circle outward to the edges.
Here’s how the quilting looks from the back:
Then I squared it up and I added the binding. I used the leftover binding from the American flag quilt I made. I hadn’t measured it to make sure it was long enough, but I got lucky and it was slightly longer than I needed. (I didn’t want to make binding, and the red, white, and blue looked cute with the blue and yellow fabrics in the quilt.)
I realized as I was sewing the binding down that the shirting fabric had a little stamp on it, and that the marks showed. So I made a little quilt tag to cover it. It says “For someone special.” Maybe I should make little tags for all of my charity quilts in the future.