Happy May, habibis! The weather has finally gotten so nice, so lovely here.
Today I want to show you the borders I put on the octopus baby quilt and the pieced back. I apologize for the lack of pictures – I could have sworn I took more!
I started with green squares, all in similar values of green, with 4 squares of green turtles on a blue background for the corners. Then I cut 3″ (2.5″? now I can’t remember) strips of bright green prints with a blue with green polka dots mixed in. I used those strips to make a narrower border, and then I added an extra row of strips across the top and bottom. It looks cool, right?
I realized that the quilt warped somewhat when I stuffed the fish and octopus. I didn’t try to square it up before I added the borders. When I tried to add the borders, I realized that it wasn’t a perfect rectangle. My attempts to mitigate that failed. (Confession: The quilt remains 3″ longer on one side than the other, even now after it’s finished. Oh well – it still looks cute!)
I pieced the back of the quilt. I used leftover forest green fabric from the backing from my brother R’s wedding quilt, mixed in with a lighter green flannel. The flannel print shows old fashioned ships over maps with little pirate flags.
I made a scrappy binding but I can’t find pictures. Maybe it’ll show up in my pictures of the quilting – check back in tomorrow to see them!