Blue and yellow doll quilt – Part II

My quilt guild collects doll quilts for the following charity: http://www.emergencydolldispatch.org/donate.html.  They give dolls to children who’ve been abused and they like to give a quilt with each doll.  It’s a very worthwhile cause.  Here’s part two of my blue and yellow doll quilt.

I used this cute colorful polka dot fabric for the back:

I pieced two pieces together to make it wide enough and made my quilt sandwich.  Then I used yellow thread to machine quilt it:

Here’s a close up.  I once again intended to do stippling and once again I failed, although I think I managed to quilt it closer together than last time.

It looks cool, right?  I enjoy the doll quilts.  They’re quick, fun projects.

Advertisements

Blue and yellow doll quilt – Part I

My quilt guild collects doll quilts for the following charity: http://www.emergencydolldispatch.org/donate.html.  They give dolls to children who’ve been abused and they like to give a quilt with each doll.  It’s a very worthwhile cause.

I had two blue patches leftover from my Drunkard’s Path quilt.  I cut 6″ squares of coordinating blue and yellow fabrics and laid them out, four by four.

I sewed them into rows of four and then sewed the strips together to form a square.

I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a border.  The fabric I wanted to use didn’t have enough to make two inch strips for the whole quilt.  I finally settled on this fabric:

Next week, the quilting!

More Doll Quilts! – Part II

I forgot to provide the link to the charity the doll quilts are for: http://www.emergencydolldispatch.org/donate.html.  They give dolls to children who’ve been abused and they like to give a quilt with each doll.  It’s a lovely cause.

On to assembling the quilt I started last week: I pieced a back for the quilt from the pink fabric I’d used for the border and another pink fabric.  Normally I prefer to piece a symmetrical back, but a lot of people in my quilt guild piece asymmetrical backs like this and I thought I’d try it.

Then I made my quilt sandwich.

Here’s the assembled doll quilt:

I used yellow thread for the quilting.  I did an all-over pattern – my goal was to do stippling but it’s not tight enough to actually be considered stippling.

Here’s the finished quilt:

More Doll Quilts! – Part I

Yes, more doll quilts.  I’ll be featuring them periodically because my quilt guild is still collecting them.

I had some extra blocks from my polka dot Drunkard’s Path quilt, so you’ll see them in several upcoming quilts.  I picked four extra blocks, two yellow and two pink, and cut several six-inch squares of coordinating fabrics.  Then I arranged them in a pattern I liked, in a four by four layout.

I sewed each row into a strip, and then I sewed the strips together.

The quilt top came out to approximately 20″ square, which is a couple of inches smaller than they wanted, so I needed to add a border.

I chose a pink print.  Here’s the finished quilt top: