Hello habibis! If you’re in the U.S., I hope you voted (or will vote) today. One of the perks of being a civil servant is that I get the day off. (I know!! It’s not like I couldn’t vote before or after work, but a random Tuesday off is nice.) I’m going to see friends and go to the gym (and vote, of course!), but I’m planning to use the rest of the day for sewing.
Speaking of sewing, I had a pretty productive weekend considering how much else I did. I worked on the magnum opus – more on that tomorrow – and I started the free motion quilting on my other big project that I haven’t shown you. It’s going pretty well so far!
As a quick reminder, voting has opened for the Blogger Quilt Festival! Vote now through November 7th! I submitted my Drunkard’s Path polka dot quilt and the hand quilted wedding quilt I made for my friend N. Check out the rest of the submissions here.
Today I’m showing you my final doll quilt. Like the other one, it’s both unnamed and unfinished. I still haven’t sewn the binding down. I couldn’t come up with a good name for it, either. I think not all of my quilts will be named and that’s okay.
I went through my stash and pulled together fabrics that I thought went well. I love this floral print but the color isn’t easy to match. It’s bluer than mint but too pale for aqua – I don’t even know what to call it. (I think it looks a little greener in certain lights than it photographed here.) I thought it went nicely with the yellow print in both color and tone, so to speak. It’s the same color – or almost – as the center circle it matches the blues in the house scene. The piecing was simple – just a rectangle with borders, to highlight the yellow print. I had trouble finding thread to match both fabrics, so I went with this teal color; it went nicely with the center fabric and I thought the deeper shade complimented my floral fabric. (What kind of flowers are those? They almost remind me of Queen Anne’s Lace, but I’m sure that’s not what they are.)
Here’s a close up on the center – it’s actually off-centered, but purposely so.
I started by quilting around the circle in the center, on the inner line and the outer line. My quilting isn’t perfect – I was eye balling it. Then, since I wanted to practice my FMQ, I did a meandering line in the yellow. I tried to highlight the flowers. It’s not the neatest quilting ever but I thought it was pleasing.
In the border I did vertical wavy lines on the left and right side. For the top and bottom section of the border I tried meandering again but it looked terrible. I hated it. Look how horrible this is. What seemed pleasing in the yellow just looked messy here, with the thread so dark. Stippling might have worked better. As it was, it just upset me to look at. I hate ripping out stitches, but I could not live with this attempt at FMQ.
I finally ripped it all out and replaced it with horizontal wavy lines. I hate ripping work out but it was worth it. I hated the way the meandering looked even more. Now it’s more more soothing and pretty.
Here’s a view of the backing fabric and the quilting on the back. I used the blue fabric from the front for binding, which I’ve attached but haven’t sewn down yet. I’ll post again whenever I finish this quilt and the flight one.