Hello habibis! Since I’m still (still!) posting about Christmas presents, I thought I’d start posted a second post each week (on Wednesdays) to show you what I’ve actually been working on recently. I don’t know how long I’ll keep up a two-post-a-week schedule, but at least for now.
As I mentioned previously, I’m taking the Handstitched class taught by Rachel at Stitched in Color. This week was the first week, reverse applique, with three projects: a reverse appliqued tank top, a needle book, and the center of the medallion quilt that will be the large project for the class. (I didn’t even realize that we’d be making a quilt during the class. I’ve always wanted to make a medallion quilt, so this works out well.) I just made myself a needle book, but I think I’ll try making this one at some point – just not at the moment. The tank top isn’t my style but I like the idea, and I might see if I can apply the technique to a doll quilt – also not at the moment.
I have tackled the medallion quilt. The center is a dogwood blossom reverse applique. I decided to make two. One in lime and teal, for another project I’m working on, and one in coral and a print for my medallion quilt for the class. I had intended to do the coral one first and then the teal, since the teal one will be a present for someone else and I wanted to have the technique down before I made it for someone else. However, I forgot and did the teal first.
The instructions called for freezer paper. I thought at first that wax paper is the same thing, but it’s not. I went to three different stores to find freezer paper but no one seems to sell it, so I settled for wax paper. It doesn’t work as well. Assembling the teal block was pretty frustrating. I followed Rachel’s instructions and did a blind stitch in lime. (My blind stitches aren’t that nice. They’re okay, though.) Note how my wax paper is pulling out as I try to work on it.
When it came time to do the coral block I didn’t feel like following the freezer paper method again, so rather than doing reverse applique I used fusible applique and put the dogwood shape on the background rather than cutting the dogwood shape out of the background fabric. I’m using a blanket stitch in teal. I ran out of one thread and can’t find it for the life of me, so I had to switch colors. I don’t think it’s that noticeable. If it were for someone else it would bother me, but since it’s for me I don’t mind. You may have noticed that the dogwood blossom shape is slightly different in this block – that’s because the fusible applique sheet wasn’t wide enough and I cut it down to fit.
I’ve picked out the fabrics for the first three borders, per Rachel’s instructions, although I’m not following it 100%. She suggested using white fabric for blocks we’re going to embroider, but I’m using semi-solid colors instead. The embroidery lesson is next week, I think, so I have this weekend to get all my borders on.