Habibis, I have to confess that June was the first month in which I didn’t keep my resolution of dedicating one sewing day a month to charity sewing. I was trying to meet an end-of-June deadline for something (which I missed anyway), and I had so few sewing days that I wasn’t willing to sacrifice one for charity sewing. That being said, I did do a little bit of charity sewing.
Yes, that’s right, the Handstitched projects are back! This one was designed to be a tote bag, but I don’t need an embroidered tote bag, so I decided to make a doll bed instead. Months and months ago I made my little EPP hexagons, all in green/leafy prints, and cut out my light blue square to serve as the background. Finally in June I pulled it out, embroidered the trunk with a stem stitch, and started to attach my hexagons. I’m almost done. I may do a little more embroidery and then I’ll add some kind of border and sandwich it to get it quilted. I’d love to have a couple of finished doll quilts when my guild meets in September, but we’ll see how summer sewing goes.
I’ve seen other people sew their hexagons on by sewing across from corner to corner, and I love that look. In this case, I wanted to make sure the ends of my embroidery were covered up, so I sewed around the edges. In the Handstitched course, Rachel had suggested pre-attaching hexagons that would be adjacent, prior to sewing them down, but I didn’t bother with that and just sewed one on top of the other.